Sunny days are ahead, bringing picnics and backyard barbecues along with it. In honor of National Hamburger Day, May 28th, we have tapped the shoulders of our Meritage Collection chefs, and asked them to share the recipes of each restaurant’s delicious burgers.
Burger: Shishito Burger
Location: Tanner’s Treehouse at Pasea Hotel & Spa
8 oz Burger Patty
8 each Egg yolks
2 bunches Cilantro
8 each Serrano Peppers (sliced)
2 each Lime, Juice of
2 each Lemon, Juice of
2 qt Blended Oil
To Taste Salt and Pepper
Tempura Batter: (For Shishito Peppers)
4 1/2 cups Tempura Flour
4 cups Soda water
3 each Shishito Peppers, Tempura Fried
2 oz Slized White Cheddar
Charred Napa Cabbage Julienne
1 cup orange juice
¼ cup grapefruit juice
¼ cup lemon juice
½ cup lime juice
¼ cup white wine vin
¼ cup champagne vin
½ Tbs dijon mustard
1 Tbs maple syrup
2 cups blended oil
To Taste Salt and pepper
1 Tbs Xantham Gum
For the Serrano Aioli:
- Place Lime Juice, Lemon Juice, Cilantro, and Serrano Peppers in a blender. Blend until juice consistency, set aside.
- In a blender add the egg yolks in the blender, blend slowly until you have fluffy ribbons, keep at a consistent med - high speed. Begin to slowly add oil into the blender until you get a "mayo" texture. Add the Lime Juice mixture and blend until well incorporated.
NOTE: if blender gets too hot let it cool down or the emulsion will break.
For Tempura Batter:
- In a large mixing bowl mix the tempura flour and soda water.
- Look for a thin pancake batter consistency. To test, fry one shishito. Add more tempura flour if too thin or add more water if too thick.
For Napa Cabbage:
- Cut head of Napa Cabbage in half and grill until flat side has a nice char.
- Julienne Napa Cabbage.
- Toss in Citrus Vinaigrette.
For the Citrus Dressing:
- Add all ingredients in large bowl, except oil.
- Blend with hand blender, and slowly add in oil until proper viscosity is reached.
- Adjust seasoning as needed.
- Cook Burger to desired temperature. Toast hamburger buns. On both sides of the bun put a dollop of Serrano Aioli. On the bottom bun add Charred Napa Slaw and place burger on top.
- De-stem Shishito Pepper, dip into tempura batter, let drip so there is no excess, slowly drop into fryer at 350 degrees until golden brown. Place on top of patty, close burger. EAT!
Burger: Mustangs Burger
Location: Mustangs & Burros at Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa
8oz Special blend Ground Beef (50%chuck/25%short rib/25%brisket)
½ Yellow Onion Caramelized
2 each Butter Lettuce Leaves washed
2 each Tomato Slices (heirlooms are preferred)
.75 oz Sliced Pepperjack Cheese
1 each 4.5” Brioche Bun
To Taste Salt and Pepper
- Finely slice the onion. Saute the onion in 1 tbsp of olive oil on medium heat. Stir the onion as needed throughout the cooking process until they are caramelized a dark brown color and set aside.
- Heat up your grill until it reaches 375 degrees. Season the beef patty with salt and pepper. Grill for 2 minutes then turn the patty 45 degrees and grill for two more minutes. Flip the patty over and repeat the process.
- Toast the bun in the oven on low broil, or on the grill for 20-30 seconds.
- Melt the cheese over the patty.
- Build your burger as follows (you can spread ketchup, mayo, mustard on bun before you build). Bottom Bun, Tomato, Burger with cheese, Onions, lettuce, top bun.
Burger: The “Americano Burger”
Location: Olive & Hay at The Meritage Resort & Spa
Pickling Brine Ingredients:
2 qts Champagne Vinegar
1 qt Sugar
1 qt Water
150 g Calamansit Vinegar
Fresh Pickled Cucumbers Ingredients:
1 Cucumber thinly sliced on mandolin
Dijon Aioli Ingredients:
Equal parts Dijon Mustard (Louit Freres) and Garlic Aioli
For Pickling Brine:
- Combine vinegar, sugar, and water in a pot and bring to a boil. Cool mixture. Once cooled stir in Calamansit vinegar. Store in fridge. Brine can be prepped in a large batch and used as needed.
For Pickled Cucumbers:
- Thinly slice cucumber and place into a container. Cover cucumbers with cold pickling brine and allow to sit until needed.
For Dijon Aioli:
- In a mixing bowl combine Dijon mustard and garlic aioli. Whisk to combine.
1 each Bouchon Brioche Bun
Italian Spice Seasoning
1 8oz Burger Patty
1 slice Sharp Cheddar
2 oz Dijon Aioli
2 pcs Lettuce
2 slices Tomato
4 pcs Fresh Pickled Cucumbers
3 slices Fresh sliced onion
- Season burger with Italian spice seasoning and kosher salt and grill burger to your desired temp. Add cheddar cheese and allow to melt.
- Grill brioche bun and spread with Dijon Aioli. Add lettuce, tomato, pickled cucumbers, and onions. Add burger to top and enjoy!